Section 1: Vocabulary and Grammar (25 points)
This section consists of 3 parts. Read the directions for each part before answering the questions. The time for this section is 25 minutes.
Part 1 Vocabulary Selection
In this part, there are 20 incomplete sentences. Below each sentence, there are 4 choices respectively marked by letters A, B, C and D. Choose the word or phrase which best completes each sentence. There is only ONE right answer. Blacken the corresponding letter as required on your Machine-scoring ANSWER SHEET.
1. We have had to raise the prices of our products because of the increase in the cost of ______ materials.
A. primitive B. rough
C. original D. raw
2. With an eighty-hour week and little enjoyment, life must have been very______ for the students.
A. hostile B. anxious
C. tedious D. obscurewww.Examw.com
3. Whenever the government increases public services,______ because more workers are needed to carry out these services.
A. employment to rise B. employment rises
C. which rising employment D. the rise of employment
4. Our flight to Guangzhou was ______ by a bad fog and we had to stay much longer in the hotel than we had expected.
A. delayed B. adjourned
C. cancelled D. preserved
5. Container-grown plants can be planted at any time of the year, but ______ in winter.
A. should be B. would be
C. preferred D. preferably
6. Both longitude and latitude ______ in degrees, minutes and seconds.
A. measuring B. measured
C. are measured D. being measured
7. Most comets have two kinds of tails, one made up of dust, ______ made up of electrically charged particles called plasma.
A. one another B. the other
C. other ones D. each other
8. Good pencil erasers are soft enough not ______ paper but hard enough so that they crumble gradually when used.
A. by damaging B. so that they damage
C. to damage D. damaging
9. The magician picked several persons ______ from the audience and asked them to help him with the performance.
A. by accident B. at random
C. on occasion D. on average
10. On turning the comer, they saw the path ______ steeply.
A. departing B. descending
C. decreasing D. degenerating
11. English language publications in China are growing in volume and ______.
A. circulation B. rotation
C. circumstance D. appreciation
121. Hydroponics ______ the cultivation of plants without soil.
A. does B. is
C. do D. are
13. To impose computer technology ______ teachers is to create an environment that is not conducive to learning.
A. with B. to
C. in D. on
14. Marketing is ______ just distributing goods from the manufacturer to the final customer.
A. rather than B. other than
C. bigger than D. more than
15. ______ a language family is a group of languages with a common origin and similar vocabulary, grammar, and sound system.
A. What linguists call B. It is called by linguists
C. Linguists call it D. What do linguists call